Monday, February 25, 2008

Hank: Extension for Cashman "will just happen"

From Kat O'Brien:
The Yankees senior vice president said he will talk with Cashman about his contract, which expires after the season.

"We'll talk about it during the season," Steinbrenner said. " ... It will just happen when it happens naturally. I think you guys are trying to create controversy here where it doesn't exist."

Steinbrenner said Monday: "I think the big thing with Brian is the organization he put in place. It's not based on just one decision as far as, do a trade or don't do a trade, or sign a free agent or don't sign. He put Damon Oppenheimer in as the chief of scouting, which has obviously paid off huge. The way he works with Mark Newman, the way he works with (Joe) Girardi, the organization he's put in place. All those things are factors."

So although the Yankees haven't yet talked about an extension, Steinbrenner said "it "will just happen," noting, "I've known Cash for a long time. Even back in the 80s when he first started out. He's been with our family for a long, long time."
Regardless of what the '08 Yankees do, Cashman should get an extension. Yes, he has made some mistakes over the years, but who hasn't? He, with the help of Damon Oppenheimer, have turned the Yankees farm system from mediocre, to one of the best in the league. And since he's gained more control, the team seems headed in the right direction.

UPDATE 11:00 PM - Here another quote from Hank, and one from Cashman:


When asked if he wanted Cashman to return with the Yankees, Steinbrenner said, “as far as me wanting him to stay, I don’t see why not. He’s been with us a long time, and I like what he’s done with the organization.”

But Cashman is in no rush: “I’m not a big believer that things have to happen now,” Cashman said. “I have a contract I’m currently on. I’m not one that needs to have any feeling of security a year in advance. I’m more than happy to go through the season like so many players and coaches do. That’s part of our industry, and I’ve done it before. My topic is a topic for another day. The topic now is to get the team ready.”

2 Comments:

Wavecritter said...

"We'll talk about it during the season," Steinbrenner said. " ... It will just happen when it happens naturally. I think you guys are trying to create controversy here where it doesn't exist." Just tired of watching them run! LOL :)

Stephanie Haile

Greg Cohen said...

lol, I'm starting to get sick of hearing about them running, so I'm sure they're sick of watching them run.

I think the best move for the Yankees would be to get this done as soon as possible, no need to have this hanging over their heads all year.

What do you think?